Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

One change in my hometown


If I have a chance to change whatever I want in my city or if Aladdin flew out of the lamp, I would probably change the square of the city and historical center.

The name of my hometown is Nitra and it’s probably the oldest city in Slovakia, country where I live, and also one of the oldest towns in central Europe. When someone says “hoary city” I imagine a place with grand ancient buildings and castle where you can feel the power and atmosphere of history. Nitra really has this type of architecture, beautiful parks and nature, but what makes me annoyed is tendency of mixing modern and old pieces of architecture together.

You know, sometimes it’s tasteful and stylish to include a modern building into historical area, but usually very good and talented architect is needed for it and it has to be done really carefully. And this is not the case of my hometown. In the beautiful historical center of the town there are many buildings which are at a sight just ugly. What’s more, there are some shopping banners, too, and sometimes they even glow and have different bright colors, what is very disrupting.

When I see that and realize that there is an amazing view of theatre, castle, fountain, historical buildings and statues, and that all evoke a feeling of long history of the town, but then you look few meters away and see absolutely different type of buildings which don’t fit there in any case and suddenly the stories of people who lived in Nitra before thousands years, which came to your mind, disappear; I feel sad.

Other reason of my decision to choose this thing to change is the fact that Nitra would be even more attractive for tourists, because usually they know that this city has great history. It would also be good for people who live here when such historical places in the town remind them that Nitra is a wonderful city, not only in the present, but she was also in the past. Fortunately we have here some areas where you really feel as if you traveled back in time; a castle is one of the best examples.

History is my passion and probably it also influenced my decision, but I think my arguments were good enough to support this idea. Who knows, maybe in few years it won’t be only an idea, but reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment